From historic hotels that offer an almost legendary experience, to climbing in the ‘Gunks, a trip to Ulster County in the Catskills offers tailor-made adventures.
Where to Stay
If you’re traveling as a couple…
- Sheeley House in High Falls is a lovely retreat for couples. Stay close to hiking, cultural attractions, and more.
- Foxfire Mountain House in Mt. Tremper offers a relaxed, Bohemian estate perfect for romantic rambles.
If you’re traveling as a group…
- Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz is a stately retreat offering award-winning culinary delights, a full-service spa, miles of hiking trails, and all the outdoor recreational activities you and your friends want. Go horseback riding in summer and ice-skating in winter.
- Emerson Resort & Spa in Mt. Tremper offers a luxuriously indulgent retreat for groups. Enjoy spacious rooms, a full-service spa, and dine at the on-site restaurant.
If you’re traveling as a family…
- Rocking Horse Ranch Resort in Highland offers an all-inclusive experience that’s perfect for families. Amenities include an indoor waterpark, outdoor pools with waterslides, unlimited horseback riding, and a kid’s club.
If you’re looking for camping…
- Rondout Valley Camping Resort in Accord offers an array of amenities for campers, year-round. Enjoy the great outdoors and more in this pet-friendly place.
Where to Eat
- Arrowood Farms Outpost in New Paltz offers a tasting room and farm market serving seasonal craft beer and small bites.
- Mad Batters Pastries & Café in Marlboro offers gluten-free pastries that everyone will enjoy.
- Mi Cabanita Salvadorena in Shokan offers authentic Hispanic dishes, including tacos, pupusas, tamales, and more.
- Phoenicia Diner in Phoenicia offers upscale diner food that has engendered a cult-like following.
- Oriole 9 in Woodstock is a Zagat-rated favorite, offering a locally inspired menu with farm-fresh ingredients.
- Hotel Kinsley in Kingston promises a “modern oasis” featuring regionally sourced ingredients in its dinner and brunch menus.
Where to Shop
- Antique and curiosity shops abound in Ulster County. Find mid-century modern furniture at Atomic Modern Antiques in Accord, and vintage clothing and jewelry at Antiques on Main in New Paltz—just to name two!
- For covet-worthy, locally sourced products, head to Catskill Goods Co in Woodstock’s Hotel Dylan.
- Clove & Creek in Kingston offers a Catskill mercantile filled with carefully curated items.
- For Scandinavian-inspired goods, head to Shokan’s Scandinavian Grace where you can find loads of unique items.
- The Ruffled Closet in Port Ewen features women’s clothing, shoes, handbags, and more while Timbuktu in Woodstock offers one-of-a-kind, handmade crafts from artisans around the world.
What to Do
For adventure lovers…
- Go kayaking on Rondout Creek with A Day Away Kayak Rentals in Kingston. Rent tandem or single-seat kayaks and canoes.
- For incredible hiking in the Catskill Mountains, as well as camping, fishing, and biking, head to the Catskill Mountain Club for information on where to go and how to have a good time.
- Rock climbing in the Shawangunks is a must for any climber. Book a guided climbing excursion with an experienced guide, like those at Alpine Endeavors in Rosendale, for expert instruction.
- In winter, Belleayre Mountain offers incredible alpine skiing and riding close to New York City.
For casual explorers…
- Take a sightseeing cruise of the Hudson River with Hudson River Cruises in Kingston. Do a themed or music cruise for added entertainment!
- The Ashokan Rail Trail opened in fall 2019, and offers 11.5 miles of shared-use trails. Go for a scenic stroll or an easy bike ride.
- Walkway Over the Hudson is a park that spans the river, offering a recreational trail for hikers, bikers, and runners. It’s accessible and offers a unique view of the surrounding landscape.
- Golf courses are plentiful in Ulster County. From Apple Greens in Highland, to Lazy Swan in Saugerties, enjoy the game and the scenery.
From exploring along the Hudson River, to feasting on delicious farm-fresh cuisine, discover Ulster County in the Catskills!